I think before we move into this debate, it is important to first know whether the temperature of water during your bath affects your body or not and if yes, then how does it helps. So let’s jump right into it !
Does the temperature of water even matters?
Let me tell you this one in really short. And this answer is YES ! Many studies have shown this trend on how the temperature of water while bathing can really affect our health. Here is one them an you can find all your answers regarding how temperature can affect our health, although even I will explain the science behind this later in the post while explaining the two types of bathing practices –
Now let’s understand the pros of a cold bath and a hot bath and also when we shouldn’t take them. Thereafter, we will decide which one of them is better –
BENEFITS OF A COLD BATH–
- RELIEVE FROM STRESS – Various studies have shown that when our body gets in contact with cold water, our brain tends to release a hormone in our body know as endorphin which makes our mind pleasant and happy. Here is a study for this matter – https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/17993252/
- IMPROVED BLOOD CIRCULATION – When our body feels cold from outside, it eventually starts circulating more blood to maintain our body temperature .
- FASTER RECOVERY FROM FATIGUE- I think this one of the biggest reason why almost every athlete take a cold bath, but they increase the water’s coldness by adding ice, after their training. This recovery happens as a direct effect of increased blood circulation.
When shouldn’t we take cold bath?
You shouldn’t consider takin a cold bath if you already have some medical conditions going on like fever, cold etc. This is because the childness of cold bath can be too much for your body to handle and would lead to shivering which will further worsen you fever or cold.
Benefits of Hot Bath-
- HELPS IN RELAXING MUSCLES– If you feel that your body muscles have become tight and you want to soothe them then , takin a hot bath is the best option!! Many studies have even proven it like this one down below-https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4049052/
- HELPS IN FEVERS OR COLD– When you are suffering from cold or fever, hot bath is the best option available! Due to its temperatures, it helps in relieving your body from shivering caused by such medical conditions and cause relaxation.
- HELPS IN SLEEPING– When our body does a hot shower, it relaxes not only its muscles but also its wires in the brain. All these effects of a hot bath make just the right conditions for a good sleep.
When to refrain from Hot Bath?
If you are ‘skin-sensitive’ guy, I would highly recommend you to not take a hot bath as it leads to conditions like dry-skin and itchiness. And if you have dandruff, please do not wash your hair in hot water as it will lead to increased itchiness.
It makes you sleepy as the condition of our body is just right for us to fall into sleep after taking it.
See both the types of baths has its pros and cons. But I will still give my verdict and in this final decision, there is no clear winner.
See I would prefer everyone of you to take cold baths daily, BUT if you are suffering from fever or headache after a day’s work, then you can take hot baths on such occasions.
And if you can’t change from your hot bath to cold one instantly, then I woul suggest you to take a bath of lukewarm water.
HOPE you got your answer!!